The Rose Pergola at Kew Gardens was built in 1959 as part of a range of ground improvements to mark the gardens’ bicentennial. It runs along the central path of the Order Beds, not far from the old pergola it replaced.
The Pergola is covered with a variety of cultivated climbing roses selected for their profusion and length of flowering. Some of the roses grown on this pergola cannot be grown in the main rose garden. The surrounding walls provide shelter for many plants, including Actinidia kolomikta with its striking pink, red and white spring foliage.
Editor: Saskia Constantinou